Still Working on that Disappointment

Posted in: Ironman, recovery

It has been awhile since I last blogged.  Not to make excuses, but I think it has just been because I have not felt very good the last two months.  I’ve tried to ignore the fatigue I felt and push through; I tried to regain the consistancy and routine I had had before leaving for Australia in March.  But, “things” just kept happening.  I’ve been on a roller coaster of ups and downs for what seems like almost 3 months now.

After I returned from Australia it took me weeks to feel well enough to really train again.  I saw the doctor, and she surmised that I had actually gotten the full blown Flu (the really bad one).  I had at times debilitating back and hip problems.  I finally got around to racing in St George against a stacked field with two weeks of actual training in my legs – not exactly the greatest circumstances, but I was just so happy to finish a race.  It wasn’t an awesome result by any stretch, but considering where I was in my training, it showed some progress.  Then, BAM! sick again and on antibiotics for the first time in my adult life.  I tried my best to recover from the illness while still maintaining some semblance of training.  Honestly, I felt a ton of pressure to keep pushing my body because I am planning to race Ironman Coeur d’Alene.  I knew I needed some “real” training in me to be able to race an Ironman.  I had one ok week of training that had ended with two pretty solid days, so I felt like I was on track.  That was one week before Raleigh 70.3.  I was so excited for Raleigh when I put it on my schedule a couple months ago, but by the time I got to Raleigh, that excitement was completely gone.  I was exhausted.  My legs just felt so heavy, and I just wanted to lay in bed all day.

I took the week leading up to Raleigh very easy, but did keep my body moving so it would not tighten up.  I was hopeful that the POP in my legs would return by race day.  Well, the race started ok.  I didn’t feel good, and I wasn’t racing all that well, but I thought the day was doable.  I had no idea things would go downhill as fast as they did.  About 1 hour into the bike, my body just would not go anymore.  I kept trying to will my body to go, but it just did not want to.  It was the longest 56 miles I have ever ridden in my life; and I was just praying to make it to T2.  What a joke!  I knew that trying to run would be stupid.  I knew something was wrong with my body; that my body was really tired.  And I knew that if I tried to run 13.1 miles I would drive my body deeper into this state of fatigue.  So I embarrassingly dropped out.  I still hurt bad like I had done the full race.  My legs hurt so bad that I could not believe I was only riding recovery watts for the majority of the second half of the bike.

So it is time to rest and get my body back to feeling good.  I don’t know how long that will take.  I don’t know if I will be able to race Ironman Coeur d’Alene in less than 4 weeks.  I just don’t know.  But, I am trying really hard not to think about it and not to worry about it.  Things will be what they will be.  My job is to trust God that He will work all things for good – that is what He says in The Word.  So for the next few days at a minimum I am taking a break.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *